Saturday, April 14, 2012

What Immodesty Says!!!

I am always blown away by the things my daughter says and the wisdom she has at only the age of 8 (she would say "almost 9"). Even at a young age she would ask me things like "why would a girl want to show her belly?" and " does that dress not make her uncomfortable?" There were even times when I had to explain to her to not talk so loud and that there are people in the world that do not know Jesus and we can not expect them to act like it. We just have to love them, tell them about Jesus and pray that their hearts would be turned. Well, now that she's older, the questions are getting harder. When she sees pictures of girls (and women) or girls (and women) in public that she knows and they are dressed immodestly she immediately looks at me. I know exactly what she is thinking and what is about to come out.

The other night I was on Facebook and she happened to see a picture of someone she knew. They were dressed very immodest and she was taken back. It took her a minute and when she thought about it she immediately asked me. "Mom, is that so and so?" to which I replied,"Yes." I knew it was coming. "I thought she was a Christian. Why would she show the whole world her body if she's suppose to be like Jesus?" WOW!!!! What in the world do I say to that? How do I answer that? How do I tell her that there are so many girls that claim the name of Christ but when it comes to modesty, they think they can call the shots? How do I tell her that many young girls think that dressing immodest will get them the attention they desire when they really should be desiring the attention of Jesus? How do I tell her that God is just as concerned about these girl's modesty as he is about every other choice in life that they make? Well, that's what I told her. I told her all of that!!! I could tell that she was a bit disappointed in what she saw.

So, here's my issue. Every girl that has ever been in a youth group that my husband was the youth pastor of will tell you that they probably got tired of hearing me talk about modesty and how incredibly important it was. I have always been puzzled by Christian young women and older women for that matter, that have no concept of modesty in their walk with the Lord. Its like they think it doesn't go together. Well, now my daughter sees it and do you know what immodesty says to her: If you don't understand modesty, then you don't understand Christ. I mean those were not the words she said but it's what they all meant. To her, immodesty means that you say one thing and do another. To her, immodesty means that you don't understand how big God is to transform your life completely. To her, immodesty means that she no longer looks to that person as a role model. Those were some things she said as we talked and by the end of the conversation I thought," Man, maybe she could go and tell these girls the importance if modesty." I mean, SHE GOT IT!!!! It made complete sense to her. I think more than anything she was confused at the inconsistency in what someone says and then what they do. We talked for awhile and she showed such maturity and wisdom. I was so proud of her and how she handled all the conversation that we had. I know that more hard questions will come as she gets older but this one threw me for a loop. As much information as I know about this subject and have talked about it, it was hard to explain to my 8 year old this hard topic. I write this blog to tell you not only what immodesty says to those around you but also the wisdom that could be learned from a child.

No comments:

Post a Comment