Sunday, November 11, 2012

" Uninsured"

I know this will freak a lot of people out but we have been "uninsured" for 18 months. Oh.My.Word!!!! When I tell people that their normal question is, " What if something happens?" or " What if you have to have surgery or there's something serious going on?" When Josh told me 18 months ago that we were going to drop our health insurance because it was too expensive and it was just getting worse, I was not on board. I think the woman in me likes the security of knowing there is something in place in case something really awful happened. I didn't really worry about Josh and I, but the kids. I wanted to make sure that they would always be safe and have any medical attention they would need. Josh had prayed about this and I knew that in order to let my man lead like the way he is called to, I needed to trust that God was directing him in the best way to lead our family. So, we joined a Christian Co-op called Samaritan's Ministries. It is a Biblical, non-insurance approach to health care needs. What that means is that every student, single, or family pays in to it monthly and our money goes straight to a family or person that has medical bills. It is an awesome feeling to send a check every month to a person and not a mutil-billion dollar company with high paid CEO's and money going who knows where. We have loved having this ministry and I thought I would share how great it is and even some pictures.

I just had surgery....YES, surgery while "uninsured". It went smoothly and now I am beginning to get my gifts from people all over the world to help carry the burden of my bills. My total cost of appointments, surgery, hospital stay, and post-op was $28,000. If I had insurance, I would be paying a deductible and 20%. With Samaritan's, the most I will pay for the whole thing is $250.00 and I may even come out paying $0. Having my needs met by other Christians that are all striving to carry each others burdens as the Bible talks about is great but the best part of it all is this:

 I get cards, letters, poems, and scripture that come with every gift. This is a picture of a sweet note that was sent to me from another family in Christ from WI.

This lady wrote a poem while she was going through some tough physical issues and she shared it with me. When you have been through a surgery and then for a month straight you get things like this in the mail EVERYDAY, you are uplifted!!! 

I wanted to share Samaritan's Ministries with all my friends because I have been amazed at what happens when the family of God comes together to meet the needs of each other. I have been blessed immensely by people I don't even know. I have seen Jesus in many of these notes, letters, and cards and even read personal testimonies. I also have been able to encourage as I send my gift each month and even been able to share victories in my life that someone from across the world needed to hear. I love this ministry and wanted to tell how great they are! 



If you are interested and would like to know more here is a link to their website. 





No comments:

Post a Comment