Friday, August 3, 2012

When a Boy Wants His Daddy!

WOW!!! What a day with my son!!! My sweet Samuel was not so sweet today. He was not very nice to his friend who visited us today, he refused to nap after countless attempts at discipline on my part, he did a lot of screaming and throwing toys, and he looked at me with those big blue eyes like he could care less what I was saying. Days like these make me want to lose my mind. Experts say,  "Make sure you use your calm voice with your children." Doctors say, " speak to them on their level." Gentle moms say," just love on them and cuddle all day long." SERIOUSLY, I tried all of that today and then it turned into a battle with a three year old. I heard my self saying a lot of "wait until your dad gets home, I should call him right now." Go ahead, act like you have never said that to your children a time or two. I try not to say that but today was way over my ability to mumble those words. I mean really, what was his problem? WELL, daddy opened the door to a crying Samuel sitting in his high chair facing the back door so that all he could see was his daddy when he walked in the door. Of course, his daddy very calmly said, " Why are you sitting in here Samuel? Why have you not been listening to mommy all day?" In a very quiet whisper and sweet voice Samuel said, "cause I wanted you to come home." WHAT????? How does a three year old put all that together? How does he figure out that mommy said she's going to call daddy to come home if I keep acting up so I'll keep acting up because I want to see my daddy that much? I was in shock and could not believe that everything we went through all day was because he really wanted to see his daddy. So, my husband, being the incredible man that he is, says, " I'm going to wake up early and hang out with the kids all morning before I go to work each day."

We have been learning lately that many, if not all, of our kid's "not so great behaviors" has something to do with us. They want out attention, they miss us, they want one on one time with us, they want us to be silly and laugh with them, they react the way they see us react, they imitate our facial expressions when things don't go their way, and so much more! Being a mom is hard work. It is hard to know that your children will have bad days and that you will be the punching bag for that day. As a mom of young children, I encourage each of us: working moms, stay-at-home moms. and single moms to look at our selves, our own behaviors and reactions to make sure we are not teaching this behavior to our children. I also encourage each of you to see your children as little sinners that are in need of a Savior just like us. They are in need of grace and mercy and to feel the love of their Creator within the gentleness of our arms. I am still in awe that all Samuel wanted was his daddy. Maybe Monday I'll tell him that if he listens and has a happy heart, daddy will come home....hehe!!! ( a girl can try)

No comments:

Post a Comment