Sunday, September 18, 2011

When she thinks I'm not listening.....

 There are those days when you feel like you say the same thing over and over and no one is really listening. " Can we put the dirty clothes in the hamper which is only an inch from where you dropped them?" or " Can we throw trash away in the actual trash can instead of just leaving it on the counter?". Those are just a few of the thousands of things I feel I repeat every single day. There are days when I teach Katelyn what it means to have a happy heart while she obeys and that the way she talks to us should be respectful and loving because that honors God. I feel, most days, it goes in one ear and out the other. UNTIL....... the other day when she didn't know I was listening. She was with Samuel in his room changing his diaper and getting his clothes on so I could finish getting ready. I heard her say, " Samuel, show me how you can obey with a happy heart because that makes Jesus happy." and "Samuel, mommy is working hard in the house, we need to talk nicely to her because God put our parents in charge of us and they love us." WHAT????? SHE HEARS ME????? I wonder sometimes why she doesn't want me to know she hears me or if she does and now she's ready to pass it on to her little brother. Anybody who knows my children, they are loud (which I blame on my northern husband..hehe), busy, has never ending energy, strong-willed, and selfish. They were born sinners. Some of those things are just who they are and I need to cherish their personality with grace and patience. But some of those things are because they are sinners just like their parents. They are not perfect and never will be. That is why training and teaching them to love Jesus and others is our goal. When I realized that Katelyn was listening to me and was even applying it, I melted. I realized that all the time and effort I pour into her for the glory of God is worth it. It is my calling. This is the life God has called me to. There are days when I feel unheard, unappreciated, and invisible but God sees it all and then shows me glimpses of it in my children. I guess I wanted to encourage parents: THEY HEAR YOU!!!!! More than anything: THEY SEE YOU!!! Does what you say match up with what they see? This parenting thing is hard but joyful all at the same time. I will mess it up at times and have to apologize over and over, but my God promises that in my weakness, He is strong. Thank you Lord that she hears and sees me. Please let me see that as the High Calling that it is. Thank you for this life and for motherhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment