Monday, December 19, 2011

NO GIFTS!!!

My husband and I were having a conversation about some gifts we had left to buy. He informed me that he wanted to eventually go from buying gifts for people to giving money to missional things in their names. I was immediately like, " um, No". My husband continued to not understand why I would not want to give money to a child who needs food or have Bibles printed in different languages. That was not what I was saying. My heart is torn because I love seeing people open gifts I have gotten them. I love making things for people and maybe giving them something they have never seen. I love that feeling of giving. I still would want to give money to missional things but I also love buying small gifts for the people we love.

With all that said. I thought about my reaction some more and realized; giving money to an organization who is sending Bibles all over the world or helping people build a church in a desolate country, IS AN AMAZING GIFT. I can't be there to see a child get there dinner, a family get chickens to help feed their family, or a tribe get a Bible in their language. BUT, can you imagine what that would be like? Watching people open gifts with that magnitude. Some of them never having gotten anything given to them. I realized that watching the people I love open gifts was wonderful and still could happen but watching them open a card telling them that in their name, THEY FED A FAMILY, that is speechless. I am so glad I married a man that sees the importance of this type of giving. He always bring me back to what is good and what is necessary. I love him all the more. My heart is being shaped and molded into what God wants and that hurts most of the time. Learning something new can be hard sometimes. I do not like change and changing Christmas the way I've always done it will take some time.

So, in the years to come we are moving from buying needless gifts to making more gifts and donating money to needs that are necessary in the name of the one's we love. Thank you to my hubby for being the spiritual leader in our home and making these decisions. God knew I needed you!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment