Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Things I Learned from Survivor!

I have always been a huge Survivor fan. There really are no shows that I get excited to watch or that make an effort to watch every week. I don't know what it is. It may be the fact that people are having live on an island with nothing and seem to make it to the end. It may be watching people from all walks of life coming together to live together and play a game. It may be the way you think one person will win and it ends up being someone you never thought. Or, it may be the challenges that I love to watch and how hard they are for people who are not eating and sleeping very well. This last season was a little different though.

This last season was filled with "religious people" or they called themselves " Christians". I am not their judge but the fruit is right there on the screen for we to see. I was kind of in awe of some of them that claimed the name of Christ, they even prayed constantly in large groups and even prayed for God to tell them " who to vote off", which I found funny because that meant they could blame their choices and backstabbing on " God's will". As I watched, I couldn't help but think that this was a perfect social experiment of Christians and the world. They claimed honor and integrity because they had personal relationships with Jesus. Then, they would curse and lie in the next breath. WOW, sound like the real world or what? It was a perfect display of how we can act sometimes. One player even admitted that he was willing to lay his honor aside in order to get to the end of the game. REALLY?? I see so many Christians laying aside everything they believe and know is true in order to "make it". I did it. As a teenager, I was "good" but still had times when I laid aside what I knew was God's calling on my life in order "to make it". I was quickly brought back to a place of repentance before ever leaving high school. THANK GOD!! I remember that feeling of feeling torn between right and wrong. It was so hard. I still have a hard time of laying aside my flesh and living by the Holy Spirit. The world is inviting at times but I have come to a place where what man thinks is fading. The more I learn and study about my Savior, I can't help but want my life to glorify Him. It is so hard to do that because I am sinful and walk in the flesh quite often. But, I know this: I don't want to have a Survivor mentality. I don't want to do whatever it takes to "make it", because that means laying aside what I know is truth. I don't want people to see me, I want them to see Jesus as all cost. Even if it means to the world I look like "I'm losing", I know in order to gain true, eternal LIFE, I must lose my life. Hollywood probably never thought by making Survivor, they would teach me to live closer to my Savior at all costs. God will be glorified in all things.

No comments:

Post a Comment