Monday, September 24, 2012

While Mom is Down...

I have been DOWN for the count for 2 weeks now and I HATED IT!! Being with kids 24/7, you always say to yourself, " I wish I could just get a day to myself." Well, a day is nice but being confined to sitting and laying for 2 weeks is just over the top. Especially when you like control, giving up everything to someone else for 2 weeks is really hard. So while I was recovering from surgery, I learned a few things:

1. The dust on the shelves WILL NOT kill anyone. I watched the shelves on our bookcase, media center, dressers, etc just build up while I sat. I had moments when I wanted to go and just clean it all up. Then, I would hear from a friend or my family that if you push it, you will set yourself back in recovering. AHHHH!!! I have made it to my third week and the dust that was driving me crazy has not really changed my family or how we live each day.

2. My kids can do a lot more for themselves than I thought. I watched my nine year old work around our house like she was the mom on some days. My three year old didn't have to be carried around all day and when going in and out of stores (which I do because I think he's still a baby-HA!). I watched them share their toys better and even get their own snacks and drinks. Once I wasn't available to do a lot for them, they showed me that they have been keeping a secret from me: THEY ARE CAPABLE OF SO MUCH MORE!

3. My husband can run the show without my input. Josh spent two weeks running the home. He not only worked at his job (which he had to miss some), prepared for sermons, did ministry, had meetings, prepared for church each Sunday, and kept up with his studying but he also lugged kids to and from soccer, did laundry, cleaned(in his own way LOL), took care of me day and night, played with the kids, kept up with where and when each child had somewhere to be, took care of a sick child, and still managed to look handsome through it all. He didn't need to know how I did it or my input, he just did it. We had some help from his mom and mine but ultimately, so much fell on him and I just don't think there's anything sexier than that...just sayin'!!

I am one blessed woman to know that when I need to be the one taken care of and looked after, that I have wonderful people in my life to do just that. I had meals brought, babysitting offered and done, prayers, balloons, flowers, and encouragement from so many that have been where I am. I am so thankful and overwhelmed at how God carries me through when I don't have the strength. It is great to know that while mom is down, those who love her will step in and get the job done.

No comments:

Post a Comment