Friday, January 6, 2012

I set the tone....unfortunately sometimes!!!

As the mom, sometimes I set the tone for the day in my home. If I wake up in a bad mood: I make breakfast in a bad mood, homeschool in a bad mood, and clean in a bad mood. Once my kids see and feel my mood, their moods also change. Of course, they get in trouble for the the things they do when they are in a bad mood. BUT, I am the reason they are acting in that way. GRRRRR....I get so mad at myself sometimes. For instance, yesterday, we had to get up early and leave our house to get to the airport to fly to PA. Now, something to know about me is that when the morning comes that I am getting on a plane, I am a mess. I do not like to fly. I get nervous and I just want the day to hurry and pass by. Another thing to know is that Samuel HATES when the sun is in his face and he also hates riding in the car. Therefore, the whole way to Charlotte yesterday he whined, screamed, and kicked the back of my chair yelling,
" Sunshine, go away". By the time we got to the airport I wanted to bang my head against a wall. Samuel is one reason we do not drive long distances unless we have to.

So, needless to say, I was not a happy, caring mommy yesterday. We tried to eat breakfast at the airport and Samuel spilled Orange Juice and I cracked. Josh and Katelyn even told me I should go eat my breakfast at another table(wow...that's pretty bad). I had lost all patience and I didn't realize that I had already set the tone earlier by my stress and attitude. God made it very clear to me this morning as I was reading that as the mom, example, teacher, wife, and Christian, the way I wake and handle each day will set the tone for everybody else's day. Many moms would say, " I can't make myself happy if I am not and I shouldn't have to". Well, as moms, especially if you are with your kids all day, you are the example of Jesus they see. YOU ARE IT!!! I know, convicting huh?? If I am already short and upset when I wake up and then we do Bible time and I am teaching Katelyn and Samuel about being more like Jesus, what am I really teaching them about Jesus? I mean, I can fill their heads with great knowledge about Him and how amazing He is but their hearts are not turned because of my actions. They do not hear what I say, they watch what I do. Sometimes, that really stinks. Sometimes I do not want to be held accountable for what my kids see in me. Sometimes, I just want to have a bad day and everybody leave me alone. Almost immediately when I feel that way, God with His Holy Spirit steps in and sets me straight. He tells me what an amazing calling it is to be a mom. Yes, it requires every ounce of your being, but there is no greater love than laying down your life (John15:13).

So, what do I need to do? I need to pray before I get out of bed. Even if its a 5 minute prayer, it needs to happen. I need to surrender my will, attitude, and day to Jesus before my day even starts. I cannot live the calling God has for me if I am doing it in my own strength and will. There are days when I want to do it on my own ( another thing about me: I like control!) but those days end up not being the day I teach my kids what love is, those are the days when I do not touch their hearts and those are the days when they see Jenna and not Jesus. So, now that I have told you about my epic fail as a mom yesterday, I pray that you will learn from my not so good example. If you are a mom or are going to be, YOUR KIDS NEED YOU TO SHOW THEM JESUS!!!! You set the tone each day of how your home and relationships will be. I pray that each of you will be Jesus to your children. I pray that you will start each day looking for a way to touch your kids hearts and pour truth into them. More than anything, I pray that Jesus has changed your heart so that He can change your child's!!!

1 comment:

  1. Love this post Jenna! I had an epic fail yesterday and needed to read this. Thank you for sharing your strengths and weaknesses with us. Love you!

    ReplyDelete