Tuesday, October 11, 2011

When the Darkness Will Not Lift!

I suffered through Postpartum Depression with both of my children. After Katelyn's birth was much worse and I really did not feel like myself until she was about 2. It seemed to take over every aspect of me. I couldn't handle well the things I use to. I didn't sleep well and my view of things were irrational during this time. My husband bought me a book in the middle of this. It is by John Piper called: When the Darkness Will Not Lift: Doing what we can while we wait for God...and Joy. Well, I came across it the other day and started reading it again. You see, the last time I read it, I was in the midst of despair and irrational thinking. Now, that I am not in that place, it makes more sense and I see the truth that lies there. I wanted to share a little from it in hopes that if you are in the midst of depression or despair, you will be comforted by our Savior.

   
He has promised not to turn away. " Whoever comes to me I will never cast out" (John 6:37). By this       act of faith God will unite you to Jesus. You will be "in Him," and in Him you will be now and forever   loved. forgiven, righteous. The light will rise in your darkness in due time. God will hold onto you (Jude24). You will make it. This is His promise: "Those whom He called He also justified, and those whom He justified He also glorified" (Rom.8:30). The glory is coming. In the meantime,"this slight momentary affliction is preparing us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal." (2 Cor.4:17-18)                                              John Piper

So wherever you are, be comforted. Helplessness, desperation, apparent hopelessness, the breaking point for the overworked businessman, the outer limits of exasperation for the mother of three constantly crying children, the impossible expectations of too many classes in school, the grinding stress of lingering illness, the imminent attack of the powerful enemy: IF YOU ARE IN THE PIT, take heart. God sees you, hears you, and loves you. There is coming a day of release and comfort. Wait patiently for Him in the midst of this and you will see His glory more than you ever have.

No comments:

Post a Comment